Visionary Architectural Art. – Marc Brousse has developed a new artistic language called “Traitillism”, by refining a technique originally discovered by Paul Clodel Cauchard. His drawings are made with ink, charcoal and graphite. Each work is freely drawn by hand, with the naked eye, and without any computational support. Marc is inspired by historic architectural monuments. In his works, the history and mythology of ancient civilizations shines through, but transformed to a higher, surreal level. Marc’s intriguing new architectural forms are based on curved and cylindrical perspectives and recondition our view of cities and the important role of environment. The artist wants to demonstrate the intimate relationship between Nature and Architecture based on «epigenetic», mutual principles.
Influenced by artists such as François Schuiten (city architecture), M.C. Escher (curves and cylindrical perspective), DeChirico (metaphysical principles), and Jacques Lequeu or Giovanni Battista Piranesi (pictorial and fictitious representations), Marc studied the history of the line from Renaissance to modern times. During his travels he has observed various types of dialog between Nature and architecture, including man’s futile attempt of taming Nature. By trying to understand the underlying principles of harmony, and by taking into account environmental aspects, the highly sensitive artist wants to spark new ideas concerning urban development in perfect harmony with Nature.
Since 2016, Marc has shown his artworks in more than 20 exhibitions in France, Belgium, Switzerland, and UK.
Animated art video illustrating the work by and the philosophy of Marc Brousse (© Marc Brousse, with kind permission).
- Born in1984 in Southern France
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, Faculty of Architecture, Toulouse, France
- Master diploma, Faculty of Architecture, Technical University Delft, The Netherlands
- Working for several years as an architect in Brussels, Belgium, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Development of «Traitillism», a new urban-poetry drawing style
- Since 2015, focus on art: ink and charcoal drawings on paper and canvas; sculptures made of wood, clay, and stone
- Lives and works in Bordeaux, France
Exhibitions & Awards
- 2022: MIXTURA2, group exhibition, WBB GALLERY, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2020: Winner of the international “Architecture Drawing Prize” in the category “Hand-Drawn”
- 2020: MIXTURA, group exhibition, WBB GALLERY, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2019: TOPOS Project, Hackney Walk, London, United Kingdom
- 2019: Prix de Dessin «Pierre David-Weill», finalist group show, Paris, France
- 2019: Lamarque In Gallery, Crans Montana, Switzerland
- 2018: ArtBox Gallery, Basel, Switzerland
- 2017: «Art Truc Troc», Bozar Palace, Brussels, Belgium
- 2016: Affordable Art Fair, Hampstead, London, United Kingdom